by Shannon Padlog
Placenta Encapsulator, Birth Doula, Birthing From Within Mentor and Childbirth Educator
Placenta encapsulation is the simplest, safest and most natural way to aid in postpartum wellness. The placenta is full of essential feel-good hormones and iron, which can be gradually welcomed back into your body postpartum through placenta pills.
What are the benefits?
- Increased energy
- Restoring hormonal balance, decreasing the “baby blues” and postpartum depression
- Shorten postpartum bleeding and increase your iron supply
- Quicker healing of the vaginal tissues
- Assist the uterus in quickly returning to it’s pre-pregnant size (known as involution)
- Increased breastmilk production
All of these physical and emotional benefits can lead to improved bonding with your baby. I like to think of placenta medicine as a very smart insurance policy for the happiest possible 4th trimester!
What’s in the placenta?
- Oxytocin: known as the “love hormone”; it helped your uterus contract to give birth to your beautiful baby. It is also present during breast feeding to facilitate bonding of mother and baby.
- Gamma globulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
- Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: boosts energy and helps recover from stressful events
- Gonadotrophin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
- Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infection
- Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks stores of energy
- Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia
- Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory
- Prolactin: promotes lactation
Feel free to check out http://www.empoweredmamas.com/placenta-encapsulation/ to learn more or sign up!
“I think the placenta pills must have played a big part in how smooth my recuperation was. Since this was my first baby I had nothing to compare it too, but everyone - friends, family, other moms in the mother's circle I joined - told me I seemed very quick to recover and very even overall while adjusting hormonally. I definitely noticed an effect myself on milk production too, as my supply was coming up to speed.“ - Alex